Slow Cooker Chicken
It’s time to bust out the slow cooker and give this Chicken Udon Soup a go!
Prep: 15mins | Cook: 8 hours | Serves: 10
1 whole chicken (~2kg)
2 cups chicken stock
300ml Chinese cooking wine
1/2 cup (125ml) soy sauce
1/3 cup (80ml) oyster sauce
4 cloves garlic
30g fresh ginger
1 tsp Chinese five spice
3 star anise
1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
440g packet fresh Udon noodles
3 large bunches bok choy (660g)
600g choy sum
1. Rinse chicken under cold water, both inside and out. Pat dry with a paper towel and set aside.
2. In a large slow cooker, combine water, stock, Chinese cooking wine, sauces, garlic, ginger, spices and chilli.
3. Add chicken and cook, covered on low for ~8 hours.
4. Remove the chicken and set aside.
5. Pour the slow cooker contents through a fine sieve into a large saucepan or bowl. Discard the solids and return the strained liquid back to your slow cooker.
6. Turn to high, then add the udon noodles, cooking to al dente.
7. Next, add the Asian greens to the slow cooker for 1-2 minutes until just starting to wilt.
8. Divide the chicken into bowls, serve with noodles, Asian greens, then pour over the broth.
9. Garnish with additional chilli if desired.
Optional: Add extra veggies if desired
NUTRITION Per Serve
2545kJ (608kcal), 43g protein, 34g fat (11g saturated),
28g carbohydrate, 8g fibre, 1428mg sodium
Fruit: 0 serves Vegetable: 1 serve