Pumpkin Pesto Pasta
500g pasta of your choice e.g. penne, angel hair pasta
600g chicken breast, diced
1 whole butternut pumpkin or other variety
250g low fat ricotta
200-300g pesto (add more or less to your taste)
1 onion, sliced into wedges
2-4 cloves of garlic, crushed or finely chopped
1 tsp canola oil
100g pine nuts
Add other vegetables of your choice. This recipe works well with leek, broccoli or broccolini, baby spinach leaves, capsicum.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Dice pumpkin into small cubes and place on a baking tray. Lightly spray pumpkin with a canola oil cooking spray before roasting in the oven for about 15 minutes or until tinged golden.
3. Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water until al dente.
4. Heat 1 tsp canola oil in a large frypan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes until soft. Add extra water if the pan dries out.
5. Add chicken & garlic and cook until browned but not cooked through.
6. Add other vegetables of your choice e.g. broccoli, capsicum, leek and cook until softened but still crunchy. If you are adding spinach, add this at the very end once removed from heat.
7. Drain pasta and add to pan with chicken and vegetable mixture. Add pumpkin, pesto, ricotta and pine nuts and toss to combine.
8. Serve sprinkled with ricotta and freshly cracked black pepper as desired.
NUTRITION Per Serve
2729kJ (652cals), 35g protein, 28g fat (4g saturated fat), 60g carbohydrate, 8g dietary fibre, 113mg sodium
HINT: This recipe is great for leftovers and can be eaten cold.