Poke or Poké is a Hawaiian raw fish salad. Traditional forms included raw tuna or octopus, but over at DA HQ we're partial to salmon. Don't like fish? - try substituting with chicken (COOKED!) instead.
This recipe is great to meal prep for the week, just use a cooked protein source towards the end of the week for food safety reasons.
1/2 cup cooked brown rice - ~35g raw
50g firm tofu, cubed
100g fresh salmon (skin on), cut into large chunks
1/2 cup kale, thick stem removed and massaged
50g cucumber, diced
1/4 cup red cabbage, thinly sliced
2 tbs (~30g) wakame seaweed - we bought ours from the local sushi shop
2 tbs pickled ginger
1 tbs soy sauce (use less if you’re watching your salt intake)
2 tsp sesame and nigela seeds
1. If you haven’t already, cook the brown rice via absorption method with 1tsp turmeric and set aside
2. In a small frypan, cook the tofu until golden and set aside
3. While the pan is still hot, briefly stir fry the kale until just starting to soften
4. Build your bowl by adding the rice to one quarter first, then kale, cabbage and cucumber
5. Next add on top the salmon, tofu, seaweed and pickled ginger.
6. Garnish with sesame and nigela seeds
7. Serve with soy sauce. Enjoy!
NUTRITION Per Serve
2068kJ (495kcal), 37g protein, 21g fat (4g saturated), 33g carbohydrate, 10g fibre, 1000mg sodium
Fruit: 0 serves Vegetable: 2 serves
Tip - If you don’t like fish or prefer not to eat it raw, feel free to cook your fish or replace with chicken breast or lean steak. For a vegetarian option, increase the tofu and add a boiled egg.