1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 red capsicum, chopped
1 carrot, grated
1 zucchini, grated
2 garlic cloves, crushed
500g lean beef mince
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 packet of Mexican seasoning e.g. taco seasoning
400g can Mexican chilli beans or red kidney beans (drained & rinsed)
400g can corn kernels (drained)
4 x 20cm flour tortillas (wholemeal or wholegrain)
2/3 cup or 1 handful of grated cheddar cheese
Garden salad, light sour cream and guacamole to serve
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Lightly spray a 6cm-deep, 20cm (base) spring form pan.
2. Heat oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, capsicum and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes or until tender.
3. Increase heat to medium-high and add mince. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until browned.
4. Add the grated carrot and zucchini, stirring to mix and soften.
5. Strain mince to remove excess liquid (important).
6. Add tomato paste, Mexican seasoning, beans & corn. Stir to combine. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes or until mixture has thickened slightly.
7. Place pan on a baking tray. Place 1 tortilla in base of pan. Spoon one-third of the mince mixture over tortilla. Repeat layers twice with remaining tortillas and mince mixture, finishing with a tortilla. Sprinkle with cheese.
8. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until top is golden.
9. Cut into wedges. Serve with salad, light sour cream and guacamole.
NUTRITION Per Serve
2031kJ (485cals), 41g protein, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 41g carbohydrate, 9g dietary fat, 1801mg sodium
Fruit: O serves Vegetable: 1.75 serves
HINT: This Mexican recipe base (onion, garlic, mince, capsicum, corn & beans) can be used for other recipes e.g. burritos, taco's or just as a simple savory mince.