2tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 tbs Moroccan Seasoning powder or 1 jar Moroccan paste - we love Charmaine Solomon
600g chicken breast
500g sweet potato, chopped
2 cups mixed vegetables of your choice (e.g. zucchini, eggplant, beans, carrots, capsicum, peas)
400g can crushed tomatoes (optional)
4 cups of salt reduced vegetable or chicken stock
100g dried prunes or apricots
1 cup couscous (uncooked)
50g toasted slivered almonds
Flat-leaf parsley for garnish
1. Heat oil in a large pot on low heat.
2. Add Moroccan seasoning/paste and cook over low heat until spices are fragrant.
3. Add 2.5 cups of stock, chicken, all the vegetables, prunes (and tomatoes if desired) and simmer, uncovered, for 30-60 minutes. When ready, the sweet potato should be tender & chicken cooked through. The liquid should have reduced to a curry consistency.
4. Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1.5 cups of stock in a saucepan until just about to simmer. Take off the heat and add 1 cup of dry couscous. Allow to stand for 10 minutes, tossing lightly with a fork to fluff up.
5. Serve mounds of couscous topped with tagine and sprinkle with almonds.
6. Garnish with flat-leaf parsley.
NUTRITION Per Serve
1815kJ (435cals), 33g protein, 9g fat (1.3g saturated fat), 48g carbohydrate, 10g dietary fibre, 683mg sodium
Fruit: 0.5 serves Vegetable: 3.25 serves
Hint: This recipe freezes well. To boost up the fibre and protein, try adding a can of chickpeas towards the end of cooking