As part of our Healthy Lifestyle Challenge, participants strive to include 2 fruit serves and 5 vegetables serves into their diet each day. So what exactly is a serve?
1 standard serve of fruit is approximately 150g (350kJ)
1 serve =
- 1 medium piece of fruit e.g. 1 apple, orange, pear, small banana
- 2 small pieces of fruit e.g. 2 kiwi fruit, apricots, plums, nectarines
- 1 cup diced fruit e.g. fruit salad, melon, berries, pineapple
Fresh is best but occasional sources include:
- 30g Dried fruit e.g. 1.5 tbs sultanas, 2 dried apricots
- 125ml Juice (100% juice, no added sugar)
These should not constitute your fruit serves of a daily basis but are OK to include occasionally.
1 standard serve of vegetables is approximately 75g (100-350kJ)
1 serve =
- ½ cup cooked vegetables
- 1 cup raw salad vegetables
- 1 medium potato
- ½ cup corn kernels
- 1 small sweet potato
We challenge you to use at least 4 of your serves from the non-starchy veggies each day, leaving 1/day for the starchy variety.
Only 6% of Australians get enough vegetables each day - we're hoping to change that, one challenge at a time!