A dietitian's take on the bircher muesli, we've packed ours with:
• Healthy fats from a variety of nuts and seeds
• low GI carbohydrate from whole grain rolled oats
• Lots of fibre, vitamins and minerals from fresh and dried fruits
• No bulking agents, fillers, thickeners or added sugar! Just fresh, whole foods
• 750g rolled oats (not quick oats)
• 1 cup raw or dry roasted nuts - we used almonds, pecans and macadamia's. Roughly chop into chunky pieces
• 1 cup seeds - we used pepitas, flaxseeds and sesame seeds
• 1 cup dried fruit - we used goji berries, cranberries and whole banana's
• 4 tbs chia seeds
• 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1. Throw all of the ingredients in a large bowl and mix with a spoon to combine.
2. Store in a large, airtight container.
To make bircher muesli you'll need...
• 200g of the dry mixture
• 1 green apple - grated
• 2 cups of liquid - water, milk, almond or coconut milk (we used almond milk)
• 500g natural greek yoghurt (we use Chobani 0.5% fat)
• 250g strawberries
• 125g blueberries
1. Add the dry mix and grated apple to a container or bowl.
2. Add 2 cups of liquid and stir to combine.
3. Soak overnight, covered.
4. The next morning, top with natural Greek yogurt and fruit.
NUTRITION Per Serve
1593kJ (380cals), 20g protein, 14g fat (3g saturated fat), 39g carbohydrate, 8.5g fibre, 143mg sodium
Fruit: 0.75 serves Vegetable: 0 serves